Phase 3 update: Recycling During COVID-19
Physical Distancing Required
We’re working hard to keep recycling during COVID-19 safe!
Last update: June 9, 2020
Now that more businesses are re-opening and people are venturing outside of their homes, we want to share our updated Phase 3 Response Plan and our dedication to continue supporting the communities we serve. We are committed to do everything we can to ensure the health, safety and well-being of our clients and our team.
During the past few months, we’ve experienced an increased demand of recycling services. This has been clear to us as people have shifted their habits to consume at home, and need full access to our depots to safely recycle their unwanted electronics and other items. As a result, all Regional Recycling depots are open full hours, and some of our depots are open extended summer hours.
One service that we’ve found that has really taken off is our quick drop-off solution: Fast Drop. This is a contact-less service that allows you to earn your full refund without the hassle of sorting your containers. Please visit one of our participating depots and speak with a team member to get started.
Our response plan has been updated to reflect BC’s Restart Plan, and we will continue providing an important service for clients who rely on immediate access to their refunds. We are happy to say that we have not had any coronavirus cases at our depots, and we are determined to staying open as our province returns back to normal.
Another important touch-point that has seen an impact is with our cherished community partners and organizations. In particular, BackPack Buddies is a local charity that needs help more than ever to fill the weekend hunger gap for vulnerable children.
If you don’t feel comfortable sorting containers or don’t require the refund, we’re encouraging customers to donate their bottles and cans to our current community partner (BackPack Buddies) by visiting one of our participating depots.
Some of the new measures we have undertaken at our depots include:
phase 3 RESPONSE PLAN
- SOCIAL DISTANCING: Staff and customers are to keep a 6 ft. distance during all interactions.
- Customers are to sort outside; all product must be brought into the depot on a cart.
- Limits are in place for the amount of people inside the depot at a given time.
- Carts and sorting tables will be disinfected every time they are used.
- PPE safety gear is being used by all staff members.
To further ensure the safety of our customers and our team, we’re asking all customers to follow these requirements:
- Do NOT visit our depots if you have been out of the country, have been in contact with someone who has been out of the country, or if you are feeling ill.
- WASH or SANITIZE your hands frequently using our hand sanitizing stations. AVOID touching your face.
The health of our customers and our team is our top priority during this unprecedented time. We are doing our very best to ensure the safety of our service that so many in our communities rely upon.
* All locations except for Nanaimo depots are participating in the Fast Drop program.